If you are a first-time home buyer, use the guide below for helpful hints and tips and learn how to avoid common mistakes when buying your first home in Bergen County, NJ.
- Work With a Seasoned Real Estate Professional: When buying a home you want to work with a realtor who takes the time to understand your needs and goals, explains everything about the home buying process and answers all of your questions. Alisa has a track record of success working with first time buyers for the past 24 years. Her experience is critical when it comes to finding properties in your price range, advising you on the best price to offer when you find your dream home , negotiating on your behalf in an often competitve environment and recommending seasoned professionals that you will need along your home buying journey.
- Pre-Qualification/Pre-Approval: Meet with a mortgage professional to find out how much you can afford to pay for a home. This gives you peace-of-mind knowing you can afford the homes you see on the market.
- List of Needs & Wants: Make 2 lists. The first should include items you must have (i.e., the number of bedrooms you need for the size of your family). The second list is your wishes, things you would like to have (2 car garage, master bathroom, finished basement, etc.) but that are not absolutely necessary. Realistically for first-time buyers, you probably will not get everything on your wish list, but having this list will keep you on track and focused on the features that are the most important.
- Focus & Organization: Bring along a paper and pen to take notes. Alisa will provide the listings of all the homes you will see in a day. Make notes on the listing of the things you liked about the home. Take pictures/videos of rooms that you like to help refresh your memory of individual properties, especially if you are seeing numerous homes that day.
- Visualize the house empty & with your decor: Little changes after you move in to make it your own go a long way. Taking down wall paper, painting and pulling up carpets to expose hardwood floors can drastically change the look of a house. Visualize the home the way you want to decorate it.
- Be Objective: Instead of crossing a home off the list right away just because it isn’t updated, try to envision what could be done to the home in the future. If the house is in a great neighborhood and has all the features you are looking for, the price can be negotiated to take into account the updates it needs. Ths may be the perfect house!
All the above may seem a bit overwhelming. That is why having a professional represent and guide you in the home buying process is critical. We are here to hold your hand and help you find the perfect home! Please contact us directly to help you get started. Let’s work together to find your next home in Bergen County!